SALET logo

Põltsamaa Castle

The building of Põltsamaa castle was started in 1272, when a stone castle surrounded by a moat was established on the banks of the Põltsamaa River for the Teutonic Order.  In 1570-1578, the castle served as the residence of King Magnus of Livonia and Põltsamaa (Oberpahlen) was the capital of the Kingdom of Livonia.  The repeatedly looted and burned old castle was rebuilt by Woldemar Johann von Lauw in the 1770’s into a lavish rococo-style palace of a nobleman. The castle and the 17th century church of its cannon tower burned down in 1941; the church was restored in 1952 and currently, the court yard of Põltsamaa Castle is a suitable place for outdoor events: the Põltsamaa tourist information center and a museum are located here along with a Wine Cellar with a Food Museum, Estonian Press Museum, the Central Estonian art gallery pART, the ceramic workshop Savikoda, handicraft workshop Käsiteokoda, a workshop “värsktuba” of Handicraft Society of Põltsamaa, and the Lossi restaurant.



Back

Choose the most attractive way of spending your vacation in Southern Estonia
Go wild!
Rest actively!
Enjoy history and culture!
Relax!
Share to Facebook Email This